Saturday 7 April 2007

Jan Smuts

Jan Smuts has been a fascinating historical character for me, and the more I learn about this fascinating man, the more I am in awe of him. Not only did he write the preamble to the League of Nations (which went on to become the United Nations), but if he had been allowed to implement the results of the Fagan Commission, then Apartheid may never have happened. In my former career, I came across his name many times, as I was researching different African plants as he was a world renowned botanist.

Lord Todd, the Master of Christ's College (Cambridge University) said in 1970 that "in 500 years of the College's history, of all its members, past and present, three had been truly outstanding: John Milton, Charles Darwin and Jan Smuts"

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites