Friday, 30 November 2007
I posted this on my Flickr site a while ago, but have only just worked out how to link them...I will post some more from there shortly
Monday, 26 November 2007
I hope that this means that something will finally happen with regard to telecommunications in South Africa. We basically have a state run monopoly and therefore incredibly high charges, and very poor service - just like the UK was 20 years ago withBT . Then competition came along (Mercury, etc.) and hey presto, prices came down, and service went up. Internet connectivity can be so useful to many people with disabilities.
A Erwin: The Broadband Infraco Bill: "This broadband capacity is so strategic to our economy that the State is intervening through the formation of Broadband Infraco. The intervention seeks to address the high cost of broadband in South Africa, by making infrastructure in the national backbone and international connectivity available at cost related prices. The high cost of broadband in this country, and the limited access of this technology to all South Africans, hampers our country's participation in the global economy. Telecommunications and internet connection charges have been identified as key barriers to doing business in South Africa, and attracting more investment into the country. If nothing is done about this, our country will get left behind, and we may miss out on key investment opportunities which could further accelerate economic growth, and create more employment opportunities for our people. "
Tuesday, 20 November 2007
Woo hoo! I have ordered my new wheelchair! I was looking for a "rigid / folding" wheelchair but as the Quickie Revolution is being discontinued, and the cost of a locally supplied wheelchair was extraordinarily expensive, I am importing an Activator from Mobility Vision in Ireland. I am hoping that the chair may grab people's attention here, and we may be able to get some more clients for them in South Africa. Presently there appears to be little choice...
James Roche, the owner / manager has been very attentive to my needs, and I am looking forward to having a wheelchair which is not going to destroy the inside of my car...
Sunday, 18 November 2007
THE MANS GUIDE TO FEMALE ENGLISH
- We need = I want
- It's your decision = The correct decision should be obvious by now
- Do what you want = You'll pay for this later
- We need to talk = I need to complain
- Sure...Go ahead = I don't want you to
- I'm not upset = Of course I'm upset, you moron!
- You're ... so manly = You need a shave and you sweat a lot
- You're certainly attentive tonight = Is sex all you ever think about?
- I'm not emotional! And I'm not over reacting! = I've got my period
- Be romantic, turn out the lights = I have flabby thighs
- This kitchen is so inconvenient = I want a new house
- I want new curtains = and carpeting, and furniture, and wallpaper.....
- I need wedding shoes = the other 40 pairs are the wrong shade of white
- Hang the picture there = NO, I mean hang it there!
- I heard a noise = I noticed you were almost asleep
- Do you love me? = I'm going to ask for something expensive
- How much do you love me? = I did something today you're really not going to like
- I'll be ready in a minute = Kick off your shoes and find a good game on T.V.
- Is my butt fat? = Tell me I'm beautiful
- You have to learn to communicate = Just agree with me
- Are you listening to me!? = [Too late, you're dead.]
- Yes = No
- No = No
- Maybe = No
- I'm sorry = You'll be sorry
- Do you like this recipe? = It's easy to fix, so you'd better get used to it
- Was that the baby?= Why don't you get out of bed and walk him until he goes to sleep
- I'm not yelling! = Yes I am yelling because I think this is important
- All we're going to buy is a soap dish = It goes without saying that we're stopping at the cosmetics department, the shoe department, I need to look at a few new purses, and those pink sheets would look great in the bedroom and did you bring your checkbook?
THE ANSWER TO A FEMALE SAYING "WHAT'S WRONG?".....
- The same old thing = Nothing
- Nothing = Everything
- Everything = My PMS is acting up
- Nothing, really = It's just that you're such a pain in the butt
- I don't want to talk about it = Go away, I'm still building up steam
THE WOMEN'S GUIDE TO MEN'S ENGLISH
- "I'm hungry" = I'm hungry
- "I'm sleepy" = I'm sleepy
- "I'm tired" = I'm tired
- "Do you want to go to a movie?" = I'd eventually like to have sex with you
- "Can I take you out to dinner?" = I'd eventually like to have sex with you
- "Can I call you sometime?" = I'd eventually like to have sex with you
- "May I have this dance?" = I'd eventually like to have sex with you
- "Nice dress!" = Nice cleavage!
- "You look tense, let me give you a massage." = I want to fondle you
- "What's wrong?" = I don't see why you are making such a big deal out of this
- "What's wrong?" = What meaningless self-inflicted psychological trauma are you going through now?
- "What's wrong?" = I guess sex tonight is out of the question
- "I'm bored" = Do you want to have sex?
- "I love you" = Let's have sex now
- "I love you, too" = Okay, I said it...we'd better have sex now!
- "Yes, I like the way you cut your hair" = I liked it better before
- "Yes, I like the way you cut your hair" = $50 and it doesn't look any different!
- "Let's talk" = I am trying to impress you by showing that I am a deep person and maybe then you'd like to have sex with me
- "Will you marry me?" = I want to make it illegal for you to have sex with other guys
- "I like that one better" (while shopping) = Pick any freakin' dress and let's go home!!!
Tuesday, 6 November 2007
This is nice to see (even for a Scotsman!). Here the winning SA Rugby captain John Smit is seen holding the 2 most precious things in his life right now - the William Webb Ellis Trophy, and his daughter. But there is another important feature; look at his wrist - he is wearing the green Stand Tall Wrist Band as promoted by the South Africa Quad & Para Association. Good to see...but then again, it is widely recognised that hookers are the most thoughtful of all rugby players (along with intelligent, good looking...modest, - did I mention where I played??)