Double amputee walks again due to Bluetooth - CNN.com: "WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Marine Lance Cpl. Joshua Bleill lost both his legs above the knees when a bomb exploded under his Humvee while on patrol in Iraq on October 15, 2006. He has 32 pins in his hip and a 6-inch screw holding his pelvis together.
Joshua Bleill, pictured here with his girlfriend, is walking again with the aid of prosthetics outfitted with Bluetooth.
Now, he's starting to walk again with the help of prosthetic legs outfitted with Bluetooth technology more commonly associated with hands-free cell phones."
Wednesday, 30 January 2008
Sunday, 27 January 2008
Rolling Rains Report:: Steak & Shake: Where ADA Compliance has Been Taken Off the Menu!: "Americans with disabilities spend more than $13.6 billion annually on travel. The Open Doors Organization calculated that in 2003, persons with disabilities or reduced mobility spent 35 billion dollars in restaurants. According to the same study, more than 75% of these people eat out at restaurants at least once a week."
Tuesday, 22 January 2008
OK, off the usual subjects for a post, but I do feel that this is actually linked to Disability; as I know of several people who are now disabled due to to crimes where weapons were used, and they were shot. Prevention is always better than cure. We need to have stricter arms controls all over the world, but especially here in South Africa...
Therefore I have joined, and would encourage any readers of this blog to join, the Amnesty International Control Arms project.
Some startling figures for you:
- There are 640,000,000 guns in circulation in the world.
- 8,000,000 are being produced each year.
- Every minute someone dies from armed violence...in the same minute the world produces another 15 weapons.
- 153 Governments voted in December 2006 to start to work towards an international Arms Trade Treaty.
- 24 Counties abstained.
- 1 Country voted against the treaty - the USA...
- 85% of all killings recorded by Amnesty International involve the use of small arms and light weapons.
- 60% of the world's firearms are in the hands of private individuals.
- 2 Bullest are produced for every man, woman & child on the planet each year.
Sunday, 6 January 2008
Rolling Rains Report:: Press Release: Mexico, El Salvador and Nicaragua Ratify the UN Disability Rights Convention
Come on South Africa...we need ratification...and MUCH work to catch up. You tried to portray South Africa as at the forefront of this important work...they are looking like empty words as each day passes...
Rolling Rains Report:: Press Release: Mexico, El Salvador and Nicaragua Ratify the UN Disability Rights Convention: "Mexico, El Salvador and Nicaragua Ratify the UN Disability Rights Convention
RI Calls on Governments to Recognize the Human Rights of All by Ratifying the CRPD"