Monday 26 March 2007

Piri Reis Map

My business partner & I had one of our many interesting debates recently. While we agree on most things related to business (fortunately!), we do have different approaches to other matters. Anyway, amongst discussions, the topic of the Piri Reis Map came up. Given our different approaches to other matters, it was not surprising that we each had a different 'take' on the map. I think we had both (certainly from my point of view) come to hear about the map through Hancock's "Fingerprints of the Gods". But we obviously came away with quite different perceptions from reading that book... I thought it basically well written (he is a journalist, & not a scientist after all!), but his theories left me cold. Although he gave a lot of space to the map in his book, there were few other cartography references (other than some vague, odd references to a retired US Admiral).

But the conversation sparked an interest, and (as is my wont), I decided to find out a little more about the map. Putting Piri Reis into any Internet search engine will trigger an avalanche of hits...the job is to sift through all the garbage until you begin to find a picture... There is lots and lots of complete nonsense written about this map, that is for sure. One site that did appear to give a good, logical, description was Professor Steve Dutch's site, and I would encourage people to have a look at his explanation.

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites