Thursday 15 February 2007

Inclusive Design

Although I am nearly finished with my studies to obtain an MSc in Accessibility & Inclusive Design, I still find Inclusive Design such an interesting subject and I am learning new things about it all the time!
In concept it is very easy.  There are 7 basic tenets or principles to Inclusive (or Universal...although there are some differences) Design:

  1.  Simple and intuitive use.
  2. Equitable use.
  3. Perceptible information.
  4. Tolerance for error.
  5. Flexibility in use.
  6. Low physical Effort.
  7. Size and space for approach and use.
OK, so that is simple really.  And the application of these principles is simple.  I once remarked to a lecturer that this course felt like a degree in common sense.  Obviously through my studies we have unpacked and analysed each of these, and discussed various practical (that's the bit I really like) real life scenarios and one can see how they all make sense.

So now I am preparing a workshop to explain these really basic principles to a concept design team.  They may (or more likely) may not have heard of Inclusive Design and may, or may not have a grasp on what this means to their areas of expertise.  The difficulty is pitching the presentation just right.  These are simple concepts and ideas, and they are all educated, professional people.  I don't want to appear to be talking down to them, or worse, suggesting that they should have already realised this already...

What I may do is post some of my slides here, for comment.  I obviously don't want to on the one hand be paid to give this workshop to professionals, and on the other hand give this all away free on the Internet...  I doubt I would get too much future business if I always did that.  But in reality, this is not rocket science.  As long as you keep the concepts above in mind, everything else falls into place.

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites